Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Jill Rumoshosky Werner, conceptual and 3D art quilter


Transformed by Jill Rumoshosky Werner. Click on image to enlarge. (This image might be replaced later....after the lighting has been set for the exhibition. I'm terrible with this aspect and have more experience help coming later in the week!)

CYBER FYBER's physical exhibition was installed on Thurday and Friday, January 1 and 2, 2009. Until this time, Transformed waited....neatly in its own beautiful fabric case. Then, quietly, with instructions in hand, I began to to assemble it.

Jill Rumoshosky Werner is a CONCEPTUAL 3-D art quilter. "Concept" includes attention to all the details....right down to perfectly fitted fleece wrappers for the individual components of the piece...complete with pretty, white ribbon closure ties....and enormous Ziploc bags for protection....and clearly written assemblage instructions....and pillowcases for the rollers and quilt. What I had feared might be a difficult task was obviously going to take but a few minutes...even preceding slowly and carefully!

The first few steps were easy enough!

The rollers went into place. The provided hanging device slipped into the fabric sleeve on the reverse of the quilt. The instruction said to mount it 72" up on the wall. I measured, set the two nails at 20 3/4" apart, and hung the quilt. That was it....up and looking BEAUTIFUL!

Not only is the artwork a perfect example of "transformed" but my already high opinion of Jill's work was "transformed" to any even more lofty place of admiration. This piece not only looks great....it is great on every conceivable level. It's execution went beyond the sewing machine, beyond an idealized vision of completion but to a point of perfection that allowed me to recreate this vision within minutes. I am in awe! Jill is simply brilliant!




Above is one of Jill's 3D art quilts, Discombobulated. The quilt is 2" wide by 10 yards long. As shown, it is 15" x 15" x 9". Made in 2001, this piece has been shown in a number of top notch exhibitions across the USA and was included in Popular Patchwork, a British publication in 2003. This is not the quilt that Jill sent for CYBER FYBER...but it was part of this blog post for most of 2008, the time in which CYBER FYBER was being put together. I love it. I just can't seem to delete it! So, even though it isn't really part of CYBER FYBER's physical exhibition...it is staying on this post....as inspiration, as another example of Jill's fanastic quality, conceptual approach, and creativity!

Reason for inclusion: Jill Rumoshosky Werner is an exceptional fiber artist whose approach to art quilts is outstandingly conceptual. She shares her humor, artistic journey, and new work on her blog. Following Jill's work was the result of a now defunct Yahoo Group.
--Susan Lenz

Updated: January 25, 2007
So, it has happened again. Before I ever wrote with my request to join CYBER FYBER in the invitational portion of the exhibition, an artist found the site and left a comment! JILL RUMOSHOSKY WERNER has accepted the invitation. I am thrilled...stunned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susan, I would also be honored to be included in your exhibit! Thank you so much for thinking of me. I tracked back from a link on my blog statistics page and was delighted to read what you'd said about my work. However, I have no idea what defunct Yahoo Group you are talking about!